Every type of music has Power

Music has a long history of creating a feeling when you hear it. Patriotic music is no different. Some of the most famous patriotic songs were written in the 1800's and early 1900's. Songs like America the Beautiful, The Star Spangled Banner, Yankee Doodle, and This Land is Your Land are still sung at schools throughout the United States of America.

Songwriters will sometimes change or update favorite music into a new song, giving it new life. The words to the The Star Spangled Banner where written to the melody of a popular song called To Anacreon in Heaven. America the Beautiful came from a poem that was written about the beauty of traveling through this country. The song our choir performed Song for the Unsung Hero was written after September 11. It includes parts of an older, patriotic song called My Country ‘Tis of Thee. While each of the songs are patriotic, they differ as to when they were written, and what the song was written about.

I liked the song that our choir performed. I can remember some of what happened on September 11, so I can relate to it more than the older patriotic songs. I also feel that the song connects me to people all over the United States, who also were alive on September 11. I also love hearing and singing The Star Spangled Banner. I think the song shows what America is all about. Hearing patriotic songs make me appreciate living in the United States. That is the power of patriotic songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment