A World Without the Sun?

The sun is important, not just because it warms the Earth. Its photosynthesis makes the grass green, and flowers bloom. The sun is also important to people. Many people enjoy the summer, with the sun’s warmth beating down on them. Even in winter, a sunny day can make you feel warmer than it really is. People can suffer from depression when they don’t get enough sunlight. Whatever the season, sunlight brings joy, and happiness to many people.
All Summer in a Day is a perfect example of the joy sunlight brings. Personally I can not imagine living in a world without sunlight. Margot had lived on Earth, but she and her family moved to Venus where it rains constantly. I don’t understand why her parents made the decision to live in such a wet and cold place. I’m surprised they didn’t change their minds, and go back to Earth, after living in the rain for a long time.
As I read All Summer in a Day, I also felt that something was taken away from Margot when she moved away from the Earth. She is described as frail, and washed out like an old photograph dusted from an ablum, whitened away. If she would ever speak all you would hear is a voice of a ghost. Is it because she has no sunlight? Her parents and the kids at school realize she is weak, the kids take advantage of her weakness, by pushing her around. Would Margot be frail and weak if she still lived on Earth with its warmth and sunlight? I believe Margot would have had a very different life. Mainly because the object that was taken from her was the sun. On Venus she had to use the UV light, and that is not real sunlight.
I have a hard time imagining life without the sun. Not only do I appreciate playing sports outside, but also growing strawberries and tomatoes. Neither would be possible to grow without the sun. Each night I go to sleep waiting for the sun to rise again. The sun’s warmth brings me joy and happiness, and fun with the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment