Winning It All.....Then Lossing It

Have you dreamed about winning the lottery or the million dollars on Deal or No Deal? Sadly not many people are able to stay rich after winning large amounts of money. People you never met before want to become your friend, and charities start calling wanting you to donate money to their cause. The sudden change in lifestyle causes people to lose their focus on who they are, and what is important to them.

That is the scenario in the novel, “The Pearl.” The main character is blinded by the thought of what the money from selling the pearl could do for him.
I don’t believe Kino understands that there is not a straight path to happiness. The path has many obstacles. There are decisions to be made along the path that may alter what will happen. As I read the book, I became frustrated with Kino, because he was so focused on selling the pearl, he did not see the danger around him. He knew not to trust people, who were trying to get rich from his good fortune. Unfortunately some decisions he made were not always in the best interest of his family.

In the book Kino changed because of money, like others in the real world. If I ever won the lottery, I believe I would not do anything with the money for several months. I would want to think about making the right decisions for myself and my family. “The Pearl” will make you think about decisions you make, and how they can change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment