Reading Is Good......To A Point

You know how your parents always say, “You need to read more,” or “Reading is good for you.” Well I think I made a new phrase, “Paige please put that stupid book down and do something helpful.” Yeah that’s right. I took it to the extreme.
This is the story of what can happen when you focus on one thing to the point where no one can get to you, even when they really need you.
My story takes place in December of 2011 about the three or so weeks before Christmas. For the last three month I’ve been go through one of my famous phases. This one is about books, but was much worse then the usual. This phase was the need to read manga books or watch anime movies, and I couldn’t get enough! At the peak of the phase I was reading at least seven books from different series, and I’m not proud of that either. There were so many things that I should have been doing, but wasn’t.
Just to give an idea of how deep I was and maybe give you something pitiful to laugh at, I’ll say what I should have been doing but wasn’t. I could have been doing the homework that I kept putting off saying that I’ll do it during resource, but there still I was reading instead of doing what I needed to do. This would lead me to having to do the homework at the last second. I could have been practicing basketball so I could be a starter. Practicing my oboe would have been a great idea since there was a possibility that I could have a solo. Studying for the soccer referee test that I already failed once, especial since this test was my last chance to keep my job. But no, I kept reading and soon my friends stopped talking to me or calling me. I didn’t get to be a starter for basketball and no solo for me.
Yes, I had a problem. I now see that problem or burden that I was putting on myself by letting books control me. Notice I said had, I have changed my ways! I’m so glad I snapped out of my trance before I really lost everything and everyone. Now don’t think that I walked away without a scratch, my grades went down and my friends weren’t so sure of me. The biggest scratch I got was that I lost a bit of confidence in myself; I mean come on who lets books control their life? But I also walked away a little wiser too because I realized that reading is a reward. It should only be for when all my chores, homework, practices and everything that I need for tomorrow is put together is done. That’s the only time I should be relaxing because reading is a want not a need.
Now I think I’ve kept you from the story long enough, so without farther ado my story of how I snapped out of the trance. So as I said before while I had my head in the clouds, a couple of my friends got in a fight. Pause; before I continue with the story I just want to say I have change the names of my friends, because I don’t want anyone to feel hurt or anything. See I’m the secret keeper in the group. Basically what I do is I don’t stab anyone in the back by telling their secrets to others. They tell me stuff and when they’re ready to talk about it or something else they come to me. I guess I’m also a problem solver because I usual come up with solutions to other people’s problems.
Ok un-pause. The fight was over a boy in the beginning, but after a while, from what they were telling me, it started to be about calling others horrible friends and other things I won’t mention. Anyway one lunch period I saw Kara looking all down in the dumps and not acting like herself. So of course I asked her what was wrong. She told me that Izzie was mad at her. Izzie, Maddi and Coco (yes I have met someone whose name is Coco) were fighting over who could date Danny. Coco was about to ask Danny out, but Izzie beat her to him. Georgia was mad at Izzie for doing that because that’s not what friends do to each other. (I agree because Coco had to find a lot of confidence to ask out Danny.) Kara agreed with Georgia, but Izzie got mad because Kara wasn’t siding with her. Kara told me that she didn’t want to take a side; she just wanted everyone to be friends. So I told her a little secret of mine, the one way to not take a side in friend fight is to be the secret keeper of the fight or messenger between the sides. (Personal I think the messengers just gets pushed around by the sides.) Afterwards it hit me like a ton of bricks; I didn’t know anything about the fight before talking to Kara. In fact the more I listened to my others friends talking, the more I realized a lot had changed since I left planet Earth.
That’s my story; I hope you learned something from it. It might not be what I hoped you would learn, but that’s ok. For those of you who want to know what happened with the fight, it’s has been about a month, so I’ll give you an update. Izzie and Kara are great friends again, Coco is ok with Izzie dating Danny, Izzie and Georgia are better, but still a little bit edgy. Oh and I can’t forget about Maddi. She got over Danny and is now dating someone from a different school.

El Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment