Letter To Happiness

January 19, 2012

Dear Future Daughter,


This letter is mainly going to a short and simply road map to living your life to the fullest, to being happy. That is one of the most important things you need in your life. If you’re not happy then you’re just dead, well at least in my opinion. There are many ways for you to be happy, and its funny how many things, big or small, affect that. Something as silly as the socks you wear can make or break your day. I really hated the socks that my aunt always used to give me each year for Christmas. They would always slide down into my shoe, so after five minutes I would have to take my shoes off and pull up my socks. But then again they were really soft and they kept my toes nice and warm!

Anyhow one of the biggest things you can do to be happy is to be yourself and express yourself the way you want to, within reason of course. Now I want you to listen and listen well. Don’t listen to those other kids that say you’re stupid or lame. You’re not and I know it. You have to believe in yourself because only you can bring happiness into your life. Those other kids are just stupid, and you’re smart. That’s because your mother, yours truly, is smart, and your grandparents taught some really smart things to me when I was growing up. Which of course I’ll pass on to you. Express yourself through the music you listen to constantly, watch those movie you crave, adore your books, and wear your style of clothes. Those things show what kind of a person you are and who you’ll be when you’re all grown up.

Now I know saying be yourself is easier said then done, but you’ve got to be you. I remember a time when I acted like the girls I wanted to be friends with and I felt so dead inside. I realized now they were the type of girl who bullied others, and I was starting to become just like them. I wore clothes that I wasn’t comfortable in and I listened to music I didn’t understand what so ever. I pushed others around and didn’t do any of my school work. Others were starting question who I really was and so was I. I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you are someone you’re not, then the real you is dead. That’s how you get that dead feeling inside because there’s no one in you. If there’s no one in you then who are you. If you’re not yourself you start questioning anything and everything to the point where you’re just so confused.

You might think happiness is really hard to get at but really isn’t. Following your dreams, being yourself, doing the things you love and have friends that love you for who you are, that will bring you happiness. Like I said before only you can bring happiness into your life. If you are always down and not happy, then you just start to repel happiness away from you. There is always going to be some really tough times, but you’ve got to work through them with the help of your family, friends and yourself. Remember there is always a silver lining to every situation, just like with the sock situation. Although some might be harder to see, they are still there you’ve just got to look a little harder. Enjoy your life; it’s the only one you’ve got.

Sincerely,

Your Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment