The Difference is Me

What if we lived in a world where we are all the same? We all liked the same things, wore the same clothes, and lived in identical houses. What kind of a life would that be? A very boring life. Differences brings variety into the world. Without it it's just a monochromatic existence.
I respect the differences in people, because they help define who I am. An example is my sister and me. Although we look alike, we are very different people. I have my own style, habits, likes, dislikes, friends, and ideas. Those things show my identity. Yet I appreciate the fact that we aren't alike in every way. The differences make us an individual, and that is very important to me.
When I look into the future, I don't see it following the same direction expressed by the author Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. His writings seem dull and gloomy. I think of his perceived world, as a living prison. In prison you wear the same clothes, eat the same meals, and do the same activities. I would not last a day in that world. Prison does not allow you to explore, create, and be yourself. In Vonnegut's world, the characters were compared to the less intelligent minds. They become prisoners to their less intelligent minds, therefore never living up to their full potential. George has to wear a handicapped because the government thinks smarter people take advantage of their brains. Hazel is one of the not so smart people do she can’t think about one thing for very long.
I have been raised to be my own person. My parents encourage me to try new things, so I can define myself. While I may compare myself to others, I use my assessment to grow. I want to live up to my full potential, by letting the colors of who I am shine. We all have the right to be who we want to be.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this essay. I thought the beginning and middle were great but I would have added a little more about the book. The conclusion doesn't really fit in. You might want to relate that back to the beginning. Otherwise overall your essay was good.

    ReplyDelete