The Devil's Bag of Tricks

Temptation is something we all face one way or another. What is temptation you might ask? It is the devil trying to get you to do wrong or not go the way God wants you to. The devil tries to get everyone on his side or to be sinful. He can’t get to me you may say, but it doesn’t matter who you are or what you do the devil’s after you. This temptation has, and will continue to affect the world in the past, present and future.

In the story “The Hundredth Dove” Hugh the fowler faces some of the greatest temptation tricks the devil has. Gold and silver or money as it’s called today cause so many people to fall into the devil’s clutches. The riches he promised will never bring true happiness. The fowler simply said “Neither gold nor silver tempt me, Servo is my motto. I serve my master and my master is the king.” Fame and fortune was the devil’s next try to bring the fowler down to his level. He met only failure when Hugh replied “After the king, I serve the forest. Fame and fortune are no masters here.” It looks like the devil is out of tricks, right? Wrong, he still has his biggest temptation yet, love. It seems like a good deal, I mean Hugh gets a beautiful woman. There’s only one little problem, Lady Columbia is engaged to Hugh’s master the king. For the first time that night the fowler almost gives in to temptation.

“The Hundredth Dove” reminds me of the story from the bible where Jesus is in the desert and the devil tries to get into his mind. In the story Hugh is like Jesus, the devil is Lady Columbia, and God is the King. Just like in the desert Jesus or Hugh knows God is the true king and the right one to follow. If Jesus can fight temptation then we can too. We just have to find the willpower to fight back.

No comments:

Post a Comment